Sunday, January 27, 2013

Seizing the day - Froggatt Edge under snow

Hard work pays you back in many ways. One is that a pint tastes so much better, and another is the wonderful views


I'd normally take these 9 miles in my stride, but snow and ice (not to mention being a bit out of shape) made the walk - not to put too fine a point on it - bloody hard work.

But on a day that has interesting skies and a blanket of snow, the high places call. I feel lucky that these amazing views along Froggatt Edge and Curbar Edge, with a lovely Derwent riverside walk are all about an hour from home.

My get-up-and-go has been on extended leave, and I am a confirmed fair-weather walker, but a day that has all this with a promise of rising temperatures and an imminent big melt is one that needs to be seized.

Many more photos are on Flickr here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shieladixon/sets/72157632615453431/

Details of the route are here:

http://uk-walks.info/froggatt_edge_short_walk.html

The pint tasted amazing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, nine miles in snow is hard work. I spent yesterday admiring it from inside.

I'll go and have a look at your photos now Shiela ~ from what I've seen they look good. They would be very different photos today I think.

peahen said...

It felt good to break a walking malaise. I thought it too good an opportunity to miss, and for once I wasn't sneering at the folk wearing gaiters unnecessarily because this time they were necessary and I was wearing mine! (with the talk of the 'big melt' I'd been expecting to be wading through mud by the end, but they certainly also help when you're up to your knees in snow!)

I took a lot of experimental photos - playing with a new set of filters as will be obvious. Some have worked better than others!